Yesterday was just one of those days when we couldn’t get
a plan to come together. Our fancy Bunn coffeemaker was
running way too slow. So plan A started with getting some
vinegar to run through it to remove hard water deposits.
We put the vinegar in, turned it on, and an hour later we
were still waiting for it to run through the machine. When
we first got it we could brew 12 cups of coffee in about 5
minutes so this was a bit of a let down.
The wife suggested it may be time to replace the vintage
machinery with something new. The tinkerer in me just could
not accept that so I started digging out tools to do some
surgery. After tearing taking off some panels I got to the
root of the problem, and it was indeed hard water.
Not wanting to use my spray gun cleaning brushes I looked
around for a substitute cleaning tool. It ended up an old
wire clothes hanger and length of solid core wire did the
trick just fine.
So with the coffeemaker reassembled I poured in water and
waited for a steady stream of water to exit the bottom of
tank above the filter. That was when plan C was called for,
but luckily I had all the tools I needed.
I then realized that although I had cleaned everything
topside, I didn’t clean the nozzle on the bottom where
the water drips onto the filter. A short time later this
problem was fixed, the tank filled with water again, and
we had liftoff! It has been working like a new one ever
since, and there were no leftover parts.
Some days it pays to be patient.
Comments are always welcome.